- In an interview with Cosmopolitan UK, John Legend says that Americans may have to consider leaving the country if President Trump is reelected.
- “Every once in a while you think about it,” Legend said. “I don’t know what one’s supposed to do when you have a leader who is trying to destroy democracy.”
- Trump has feuded with Legend and his wife, Chrissy Teigen, throughout his presidency.
- Legend, a strong supporter of 2020 Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, has been a prominent political activist for years, with a particular passion for criminal justice reform.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
In an interview with Cosmopolitan UK, John Legend says that Americans may have to think about leaving the country if President Trump is reelected to a second term.
“Every once in a while you think about it,” he said. “We were born and raised here, all of our families are here. It would be hard to leave. But I don’t know what one’s supposed to do when you have a leader who is trying to destroy democracy.”
Legend continued, saying that “If that project [to destroy democracy] was to be in any way successful, you’d have to think about going somewhere that is a true democracy, that has respect for the rule of law and human rights.”
“If America chooses to be that place then people will have to start thinking about going somewhere else,” he said. “It is truly disturbing and concerning.”
Legend and his wife, Chrissy Teigen, who are currently expecting their third child together, are vocal opponents of Trump, and he’s engaged in harsh rhetoric with the couple on Twitter.
Last year, Trump criticized the couple when he felt as though Legend was insufficiently appreciative of him enacting the First Step Act, the legislation that reformed drug sentencing laws. At the time, Trump tweeted that Legend was “boring” and called Teigen “his filthy mouthed wife.”
Legend responded to Trump in an interview with The Evening Standard, saying that Trump was “so sad and petty and narcissistic and immature.” Teigen called Trump a “p—y a– b—h” on Twitter and criticized him for not tagging her in his earlier insult. In 2017, Trump blocked Teigen on the social media platform after she tweeted “Lolllllll no one likes you,” in response to his online complaints that Republicans were insufficiently protective of him.
The Cosmopolitan interview progressed with Legend expressing hope that Americans would steer the country in a different direction.
“I strongly believe America is exhausted from three and a half years of Donald Trump,” he said. “We can’t bear another four years of this. As Michelle Obama said, we have to vote like our lives depend on it. I honestly think the American people will do it.”
Legend, who supports Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, has been a prominent political activist for years. This past summer, he called for the arrest of the police officers who shot and killed Breonna Taylor in Louisville, Ky., and performed with the rapper and actor Common at the 2020 Democratic National Convention.
View original article here Source