Trump says TikTok has until September 15 to find a US buyer or it will be banned — and the US Treasury should get payment as part of the sale

  • President Donald Trump said TikTok has until Sept. 15 to find a US buyer or else face a ban.
  • He also said the US Treasury should receive payment as part of a potential deal in which TikTok is sold to a US company.
  • Trump has previously threatened to ban the app, which is owned by ByteDance, a Beijing-based company.
  • Microsoft is reportedly in talks to purchase TikTok, a move that Trump said he would support.
  • Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

President Donald Trump’s administration will take action to ban TikTok unless it’s sold to a US company by Sept. 15, Trump told reporters at the White House Monday afternoon.

Trump has previously threatened to ban TikTok, which is owned by Beijing-based ByteDance. US lawmakers and members of the Trump administration have said the massively-popular video sharing app poses a national security threat because it’s owned by a Chinese company.

TikTok is reportedly looking for a potential US buyer following increasing pressure from the Trump administration, and Microsoft announced Sunday that it is interested in potentially buying the company. In its statement announcing its plans, Microsoft said it wanted to finalize the deal “no later than September 15, 2020.”

“During this process, Microsoft looks forward to continuing dialogue with the United States Government, including with the President,” Microsoft said in the statement.

Trump said Monday that he would approve of a deal involving a sale to Microsoft, and added that he expects payment to the US Treasury as part of the deal, possibly referencing taxes paid on the acquisition.

TikTok did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

View original article here Source